In The Kitchen: A Thermador 36 Inch Gas Range Review
When you’re looking for a new oven/range, there are names you know and trust. Whirlpool, Viking, Thermador, Bosch, GE, Electrolux, Maytag, SMEG, and Frigidaire. But how much do you really know about any given model?
Today, we’re taking a look at a particular Thermador 36-inch gas range. We’ll compare prices, features, and warranties among four different brands, to help you understand which might be the best model for your home.
Overview Of The Thermador 36 Gas Range
The Thermador Pro Harmony range has six pedestaled Star Burners, which are distinctly designed in a unique shape for better coverage and even cooking. These burners are powerful, and fantastic for a number of cooking functions, like super-fast boiling. There’s also two specially designed burners that cycle on and off to keep temperatures as low as 100 degrees Fahrenheit for cooking delicate sauces and soups.
Thermador is a well-trusted name in the professional kitchen, as well as the home, and has been making cooking and food related appliances for over 75 years. It’s a trusted name that produces trusted products.
Product Specifications for the Thermador 36 Gas Range
To better understand the technical side of the Thermador Pro Harmony Professional Series PRG366GH and similar products, we’ve pulled in the specifications.Shop now at Amazon.com
The Specifications for the Thermador 36 Gas Range:
Series: Pro Harmony Professional Series
Fuel Type: Gas
Color: Stainless Steel
Cooktop: Sealed Burner
Continuous Grates: Yes
Stainless Steel Handle: Yes
Viewing Window: Yes
Width: 35 15/16 Inch
Depth: 27 5/8 Inch
Height: 35 7/8 Inch
Interior Width: 28 Inch
Interior Depth: 18 7/8 Inch
Interior Height: 16 1/4 Inch
Set 1 QTY: 6
Set 1 Output: 18000
Burners / Elements: 6
Cooktop Control Type: Knobs
Downdraft Ventilation: No
Modules Required: No
Primary Oven Capacity: 5 Cubic Feet
Oven Control Type: Knobs
Digital Temperature Display: No
Delay Bake: No
Sabbath Mode: Yes
Broiler Element Location: Top
Temperature Probe: No
Interior Oven Light: Yes
Removable Door: Yes
Broiler Pan Included: Yes
Star-K Certified: No
ADA Compliant: No
Ignition Type: Electronic
Oven BTUs: 27000
LP Conversion: No
Voltage: 120 Volts
Features Of The Thermador 36 Inch Gas Range
The Thermador Pro Harmony Professional Series PRG366GH comes with a number of appealing features that make it a pretty decent range/oven model.
- 24-inch cabinet depth – For flush mounting and integrated appearance in your kitchen.
- Patented Star Burner – Sealed 3-in-1 star burner has a unique five-point design that offers reduced cold spot, which means a faster boil time. The burner’s shape cover more area than round burners, which results in a more even flame distribution.
- Low temperature simmer function with wide variety for temperature control for making sauces and soups. This function cycles on and off to maintain temperatures as low as 100 degrees Fahrenheit to avoid scorching or unevenly cooking dishes set to simmer.
- The design of the Star Burners brings direct heat evenly to pots and pans for a super-fast boiling time. Expected boiling in about half the time of a usual stove.
- Continuous grates –Porcelain constructed for easy cleaning, the continuous grates make it easier to move pots from one burner to another without spilling contents or burning yourself.
- The raised pedestal burners and porcelain maintop are specifically designed for easier clean-up than the average range top.
- The oven uses convection heat for multi-level baking with more even results.
- The Thermador oven is lit up with powerful halogen lights throughout for easy visibility.
- Electronic oven controls make for a more precise control on the temperature and functions.
- The oven offers 27,000 BTUs for baking, and the broil burners have 20,000 BTUs.
- The oven includes three full access telescopic racks.
- The oven has Sabbath mode for those who observe religious practices who require it.
- There are six rack levels within the oven for higher cooking functionality and versatility.
Price Range for the Thermador 36 Inch Gas Range
The Thermador Pro Harmony Professional Series PRG366GH runs between five thousand seven hundred dollars to around six thousand at most retailers. Each site and company will offer different prices at different times, based upon season or sales.
Before making any purchase of a major appliance like a range, be sure to check for sales prices, discounts on floor models – many have warranties specifically designed for these – and any price-matching guarantees that may be available.
Warranty Information for the Thermador 36 Gas Range
The Thermador Pro Harmony 36-inch gas range has a warranty from the manufacturer that covers the appliance for one year from date of purchase. This is a fairly standard length of time for a limited warranty for a gas range. The main brand that offers a better warranty is Viking.
Many retailers offer extended warranties for the products they sell, so you may wish to consider purchasing one of these. They will up your price a bit, but for the assurance that your major appliance is safe for a few to several more years, a few hundred extra dollars is more than worth it.
How Does the Thermador 36 Gas Range Compare to the Competition?
All of the ranges we’re comparing have a number of distinct features, making them all a bit different from each other.
They are all 36-inch ranges, however, with ovens, and run in a similar price-range. Some are little pricier than others, based upon quality standards, general retailer mindsets, and features available on each model.
Comparisons: The Thermador 36 Gas Range Versus BlueStar RNB Series RNB366BV2NG
You’ll find the BlueStar RNB Series RNB366BV2NG for about six thousand three hundred at various retailers. This puts this range at up to six hundred dollars less than the Thermador, depending on sales, retailers, and various other discounts.
Ease of Use
The BlueStar RNB Series RNB366BV2NG has a large number of features and functions that set it apart from the Thermador, despite being similar in standard features and size. The BlueStar receives 4.5 out of 5 stars for ease-of-use.
- Infrared broiler – For intense searing heat close to burner.
- Easy-to-clean heavy-duty commercial grade stainless steel construction.
- Interior oven lights for easily checking on food throughout the cooking process.
- Commercial quality oven controls.
- Heavy-duty door for durability.
- Push-to-turn knobs for safety.
- Removable, dishwasher friendly stainless-steel drip trays.
- Extra-large oven capacity – 29 inches width, 20 inches depth, and 15 inches height.
- NOVA, ULTRANOVA and simmer burners – Porcelain enameled top burners for versatility. One burner provides up to 15,000 BTUs, while the other provides 22,000 BTUs.
- Gentle simmer feature for keeping sauces and soups just right without burning.
- High-quality convection system for even distribution of heat, for even cooking throughout.
- Seamless grates for easy movement of pans as meals are prepared.
There’s a one-year limited warranty for the BlueStar, with 10-years for the burner heads and grates, and 7 days from installation for cosmetic issues. This is a mixed bag warranty with some very strong positives, along with less generous warranty issues.
This warranty has been awarded 4 out of 5 stars because of the cross between excellent and so-so protection.
Comparisons: The Thermador 36 Gas Range Versus Fulgor Milano Sofia Series F6PGR366S1
The Fulgor Milano Sofia Series F6PGR366S1 will run you between five grand to five thousand three hundred dollars. This is up to four hundred dollars less than the Thermador model we’re examining.
Ease of Use
The Fulgor Milano Sofia Series F6PGR366S1 is an exceptionally pleasant and easy-to-use 36-inch burner stove/oven combination. A large number of features make the ease-of-use rating for the Milano a 4.7 out of 5 stars.
- 6 dual burners
- Commercial grade grates and burner
- Large capacity – 5.2 cubic feet in the oven
- Dual convection for even distribution of heat for even cooking
- Commercial style rack with multi-level lighting make your food in the oven easy to track.
- Full-extension rack on stainless steel glides.
- Soft closing door
- Pyrolitic self-cleaning function
- 3 halogen interior lights
- Three oven programming modes
The Fulgor Milano has a two-year warranty that covers all parts and labor for normal residential use of the appliance. This is one of the best warranties on gas ranges, so it’s rated with 5 out 5 stars for excellence.
Comparisons: The Thermador 36 Gas Range Versus Viking Professional 5 Series VGR5366BSSShop now at Amazon.com
The Viking Professional 5 Series VGR5366BSS will run you approximately six thousand three hundred dollars at various retailers across the web.
This puts it about two hundred more than the most expensive price for the Thermador, which may be due to things like the warranty and features not offered in similar models.
Ease of Use
The Viking VGR5366BSS has been rated 4.5 out of 5 stars for ease-of-use. The various features and functions earn it this rating:
- ProFlow™ Convection Baffle – For even distribution of heat for perfectly even cooked foods of all types.
- Gourmet-Glo™ broiler – For restaurant quality broiling to sear meats perfectly.
- VSH™ burner system – Professional grade sealed burners for high-quality cooking performance in any kitchen setting.
- VariSimmer – For easily keeping foods at a gentle simmer for lasting periods of time.
- GentleClose™ Door – For smooth, gentle, slow oven door closing to avoid noisy banging.
- SureSpark ignition system – Automatic re-ignition for burners that go out while cooking.
- BlackChrome™ knobs – Sleek, attractive, heavy-duty knobs for endurance.
- Large capacity at 5.1 cubic feet.
- Great interior halogen lighting.
The Viking VGR5366BSS has a two-year full warranty, along with a 90-day cosmetic warranty, and a five-year limited warranty for the gas burners. This is one of the best warranties in the industry, so this warranty has been rated 5 out of 5 stars.
Pros of the Thermador 36 Gas Range
The Thermador Pro Harmony Professional Series PRG366GH has a lot of positives about it.
- Sabbath mode
- Six burners/elements
- Large oven capacity
- Easy-to-clean cooktop
- Star Burners that offer more even cooking
- Great convection system
- An amazing simmer setting for keeping soups and sauces safe from scorching
- Continuous grates for easy maneuvering
- Powerful cooking heat
- Six rack levels for baking anything
Cons of the Thermador 36 Gas Range
There are several minor negatives about the Thermador 36 gas range. Most of the cons are minor enough that they don’t affect the overall rating particularly but do drop the score a few points on the star rating.
- There’s no self-cleaning mode. For a luxury oven at this price, we feel like there really should be.
- While not everyone needs an ADA compliant appliance, we always think it’s a good idea for anyone who may develop mobility issues or has a disability.
- There’s no clock or timer. While those are fairly minor, since most of use our smart phones to time things and know what the time is, that’s still a negative for us.
- There’s no delay bake, proofing, or temperature probe. Again, not critical, but for a luxury range, there really ought to be these minor functions to make life a little easier.
Where to Buy the Thermador 36 Gas Range
You can find the Thermador Pro Harmony Professional Series PRG366GH at AJ Madison, Designer Appliances, Appliances Connection, Amazon, Abt.com, and Stucco.com, among other various retailers of a similar nature.
Before you purchase, be sure to compare prices across multiple sites and at multiple stores if you plan to purchase in person. Many companies offer price matching for appliances, as well as sales that have the same result. Ask stores when items will go on sale to find guarantee you get the best price possible.
|Price not available|
Viking Professional 5 Series VGR5366BSS
|Price not available|
Overall, this oven range from Thermador is a high-quality appliance with a number of useful features and functions. It’s easy-to-use, easy-to-clean, and generally a solid piece of equipment.
The Star Burners are a fantastic feature that help get your food more evenly cooked, and bring things to a boil much more quickly than other ranges. We also love the simmer function that shuts on and off automatically to keep the temperatures right at 100 degrees, to avoid scorching delicate sauces and soups.
Our main complaints are the lack of self-cleaning mode, lack of timer and clock, and no digital temperature display. It’s not exactly a no-frills model, which means it’s a little odd to miss these basic features.
Overall, this is a great range that should improve any kitchen into which it is installed.
Last update on 2021-02-26 at 07:49 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API