When it Comes to Cooktops: A Jenn-Air Cooktop Review
Induction stoves are a great investment for those looking for the ultimate home cooking experience. At the head of the pack of this unique type of stove is the Jenn-Air cooktop.
This brand is well-known among many for high quality kitchen appliances and comes highly recommended by a number of reviewers and consumers.
To help make sure you’re going to find the perfect cooktop for your home, we’re taking a look at the Jenn-Air JIC4430XS Cooktop, stainless steel, which is an induction cooktop.
We’ll be comparing the Jenn-Air to three other models from different brands, that run in a similar price range, and have similar features.
Overview of the Jenn-Air Cooktop
The Jenn-Air® luxury induction cooktop is a unique stove which combines elements of both a gas and electric cooktop. This unique approach to cooktops includes four elements that remain cool yet have exceptional cooking speed and temperature adjustment. The result is you have a reliable stove with the sleekness of an electric cooktop, and the precision that comes from a gas cooktop
How the Jenn-Air Cooktop Works
While technology has changed, the basic principle of cooking has not. Put food in a metal container, then put the container on top of a heat source and then wait for the results.
The only real problem with cooking is the difficulty of the heat source’s reliability. Most heat sources will only warm the portions of the cookware it touches, which results in unevenly heated food.
This difficulty has resulted in the creation of specialized techniques and tools to cook more temperamental dishes that require exact and even heating.
One of the solutions to this problem of cooking was solved by the creation of induction cooktops. The principle behind induction cooktops is to use electricity and magnetism to heat food evenly by turning the cookware itself into the source of the heat.
Additionally, these types of cooktops include precise temperature control and a capacity for very low temperatures. These features mean that there is far much less wasted heat than with a more traditional stove.
This cooking process works by placing a ferromagnetic pot or pan on an induction cooktop, and a small current is induced on the bottom of the cookware.
The electrical current has an associated magnetic field which induces eddy currents inside the cookware. The end result of all these currents is a lot of churning of molecules inside the cookware.
Product Specifications for the Jenn-Air Cooktop
The Jenn-Air cooktop specifications are listed below, for better understanding of function, size, and quality of manufacture.
Specifications for the Jenn-Air JIC4430XS Cooktop:
Configuration and Overview
Cooktop Type: Standard
Size: 30 inches
Surface Material: Ceramic Glass
Burner or Element Style: Induction
Number of Burners: 4
Installs Over Built-In Oven: Yes
ADA Compliant: No
Fuel Type: Electric
Digital Display: Yes
Downdraft Vent: No
Hot Surface Indicator Light: Yes
Left Front Size: 7 inches
Left Front Power: 2500W/1800W
Left Front Type: Bridge
Left Rear Size: 7 inches
Left Rear Power: 2500W/1800W
Left Rear Type: Bridge
Right Front Size: 6 inches
Right Front Power: 1800W/1400W
Right Front Type: Single
Right Rear Size: 11 inches
Right Rear Power: 3700W/2300W
Right Rear Type: Single
Depth: 21 5/16 inches
Height: 3 3/8 inches
Width: 30 3/4 inches
Cutout Depth: 19 1/4 inches
Cutout Width: 29 1/2 inches
Features of the Jenn-Air Cooktop
The Jenn-Air Cooktop uses a technological cooking marvel – induction. It has been designed with a multitude of features that take advantage of induction cooking technology to deliver you the ultimate home cooking experience.
- Cooks food efficiently through the use of induction technology
- Intuitive sensor that brings water to a boil and maintains it
- Twin 7-inch 2,500-watt elements with a bridge function
- One of the low settings is a Keep Warm function for food until it is ready to be served
- Each element has its own separate timer
- Four induction elements of varying sizes
- Each element includes a ten-minute performance boost above the highest setting
- A sensor detects cookware before enabling an element.
- When cookware is removed from an element it is automatically switched off
- Touch activated controls with a power slider.
- A simmer function that is great for both sauces and soups
- A melt function which is made for sauces or melting butter and chocolate
- A touch turn off with a tone sounding to indicate the stove has been shut down.
- The induction cooktop can be installed over a single built in wall oven.
Price Range for the Jenn-Air Cooktop
The price range for the Jenn-Air induction Cooktop is about $2000.
An additional cost to consider is that most retailers offer extended warranties. While these are not necessary, they are often advisable to guarantee that your investment remains working and in-tact for many years after the standard warranty from the manufacturer becomes void.
Warranty Information for the Jenn-Air Cooktop
The Jenn-Air has a limited warranty that lasts for one year, and applies if the appliance is operated and maintained as outlined in the instructions.
This warranty covers the replacement of factory specified parts, and any repair labor needed to correct defects in either materials or the workmanship.
This repair must be done by a Jenn-Air designated company.
This warranty only applies in the United States and Canada, and proof of purchase must be produced for obtaining service under this warranty.
Certain component items have a second through fifth year limited warranty as well.
How Does the Jenn-Air Cooktop Compare to the Competition?
To give you a better idea of what the Jenn-Air Cooktop has to offer you, we have a feature comparison between it and three of its top competitors.
Comparisons: The Jenn-Air Cooktop Versus the Fagor IFA80BN
- 4 cooking zones
- 7-point safety system
- 12 cooking settings + 3 quick launch settings
Both the Jenn-Air cooktop and the Fagor IFA80BN use induction heat for cooking, as well as offer burners of varying sizes.
The price range for the Jenn-Air induction Cooktop is about $1,600.The Fagor IFA80BN runs around $1,300 to $1,600.
Ease of Use
The Fagor cooktop offers a number of features that make it easy-to-use for almost anyone. The ease-of-use rating for the Fagor cooktop is 4.5 out of 5 stars. The Jenn-Air receives a similar rating.
- Four cooking zones
- Sleek touch controls for easy operation
- Twelve cooking settings
- Three quick-launch commands for low, medium or high temperatures
- Power variations from 50 to 3600 Watts for quality cooking performance
- Burners of different sizes to meet your cooking needs best
- Highly durable glass-top surface
- Keeps kitchen cooler
- 8-point safety system
- Overflow safety to protect touch control
- Anti-overheating – Disables temperatures at 575 degrees Fahrenheit to prevent oil fires
- Low voltage detection
- Over voltage detection
- Improper connection protection
- Small utensil safety – The surface will not heat unless something at least 5 inches in diameter is placed on a cooking zone
- Cookware detection – Cooktop turns off automatically if no cookware is present
- Self-adjust burners –cooking zones sense size of cookware and adjust automatically to heat the cookware only
- Illuminated touch controls
The manufacturer offers a limited warranty that covers any problems that affect functionality. Extended warranties may be purchased from retailers to extend the life of your cooktop.
Comparisons: The Jenn-Air Cooktop Versus the Bosch 800 Series NIT8068UC
- 4 Cooking Zones + SpeedBoost, 3,600 Watt 11" Element, Independent CountDown Timer, AutoChef Function and Residual Heat...
Both of these cooktops have a lot of handy features that help protect your home and family. The Bosch, of course, has some other features that vary from the Jenn-Air model.
The Bosch 800 Series NIT8068UC can be found anywhere from $1700 to $2500 at various retailers. This makes the Bosch about $300 to $50 less expensive than the Jenn-Air model we’re examining. This may be due to differences in features, as well as the reputation of company, pricing policies, or other factors.
Ease of Use
The Bosch 800 Series NIT8068UC comes with a number of handy features that make it super easy to use for anyone capable to turning knobs and tapping buttons.
- AutoChef – This feature regulates temperatures while cooking and adjusts temperatures throughout cooking time accordingly.
- SpeedBoost – This function boils water twice as fast as standard electric cooktops.
- 17 Power Levels – This cooktop from Bosch offers 17 different cooking levels via numerical controls, rather than scanning a confusing list of menu items.
- PotSense – Automatically recognizes the bottom of a cooking element.
- 11-inch Cooking Zone – Perfect for using larger pots and pans for big family meals and stews.
- ChildLock –Prevents children and pets from accidentally turning burners on.
- Safe Start – Prevents the stove from starting up if no cooperative cookware is present on the cooking surface.
The Bosch 800 Series NIT8068UC comes with a 1-year limited warranty from the manufacturer. You may wish to purchase an additional extended warranty to guarantee the appliance for a number of years longer. These can be purchased through nearly any retailer through which you buy the appliance.
Comparisons: The Jenn-Air Cooktop Versus the Electrolux ICON Designer E30IC80QSS
No products found.
Comparing cooktops, we see that the Electrolux ICON Designer E30IC80QSS has a number of similar features to the Jenn-Air, as well as a number of others that would come in handy in almost any kitchen.
You’ll find the Electrolux ICON Designer E30IC80QSS for somewhere between $1900 to $2100 at various retailers. This put it within $100 of the Jenn-Air cooktop.
Ease of Use
The Electrolux ICON boasts a number of features that make it an easy-to-use cooktop, rating at 4.5 out of 5 stars for ease-of-use.
- Induction heating is highly responsive – More so than electric or gas.
- Sensors automatically detect cookware pans and activate the induction field and adjust the cooking surface heat to match the size of the pan that’s present.
- You can quickly and easily boil water on this cooktop through using the Power Assist function.
- Allows you to adjust heat to precise temperatures that are perfect for things like melting chocolates and cooking delicate sauces.
- Offers a warmer setting.
- Energy efficiency, up to 70 percent more efficient than gas, and up to 20 percent more so than electric.
- Super easy to clean.
The manufacturers offer a 3-year limited warranty for the Electrolux ICON Designer E30IC8QSS. This rates as excellent, with 5 out of 5 stars. The Jenn-Air warranty only ranks at a 3.5 out of 5 star rating.
Where to Buy the Jenn-Air Cooktop
You can easily purchase the Jenn-Air JIC4430XS Cooktop from a number of retailers, including Abt.com, Sears, Bray and Scarff, Yale Appliances, Appliances Connection, or Build.com.
Unless you’re set on purchasing from a particular retailer, be sure to look into coupons, sales, and other discounts and deals from a number of retailers. Many companies offer price matching as well, which could be convenient for purchasing in person, if that’s a preference over online shopping.
Our Final Thoughts
The Jenn-Air JIC4430XS Cooktop is super easy to clean, easy to use, and has a lot of intuitive features.
There are other highly comparable cooktops available in the same price range, but we think it’s going to be more about brand preference at this level, unless a particular feature on one specific model stands out to you more than another.
Last update on 2022-05-19 at 15:52 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API